Re: separate tablespaces for tables and indexes

From: Richard Foote <richard.foote_at_bigpond.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2004 07:42:27 +1000

Hi Mladen

I'll try one last time then give up, remembering it was only a simplified example.

My point is that previously *one* disk associated with a tablespace had 1000 I/Os, the other disk associated with the indexes had 100 I/Os.

So yes, a combined *tablespace* now has 1100 I/Os but I would now have *two* disks thereby evening the load across the *two* disks (say 550 I/Os on *each* disk),

Now read my initial comment that in many environments that have separate disks to split tables/indexes in the *hope of reducing contention*, potentially have *hot* 1000 I/O disks and cold 100 I/O disks rather than evenly loaded disks.

And no, not all sites have SANS and the such and yes some sites still partition their SANS in the above manner (Insane SAN).

That's all ...

Richard