RE: Stored outline problems

From: Wolfson Larry - lwolfs <lawrence.wolfson_at_acxiom.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2004 09:57:23 -0600

Hi, Wolfgang nice to hear from you.

Umm, I only meant the code is really the same both in PROD & TEST (which is a copy of PROD from 3 or 4 weeks ago) since we never used outlines in either I'm thinking I can just generate one on TEST and import it into PROD.

        I just can't get the text portion to generate with the bind variables as Tom Kyte points out
http://asktom.oracle.com/pls/ask/f?p=4950:8:5474914190641052077::NO::F4950_P 8_DISPLAYID,F4950_P8_CRITERIA:4144341695521 "tkyte_at_TKYTE816> select name, category, sql_text from user_outlines;

NAME                          CATEGORY        SQL_TEXT
----------------------------- --------------- ------------------------------
SYS_OUTLINE_0104122003150057  DEFAULT         select * from dual where dummy
                                                = :SYS_B_0

MY_OUTLINE                    MY_CATEGORY     select * from dual where dummy
                                                = 'X'

As you can see, the stored queries are very different from each other. The one
we generated via the CREATE OUTLINE command is exactly as we had entered it. The
CURSOR_SHARING code was not executed in this case, since we did not actually run
the query. The query text was stored verbatim. On the other hand, the query text
for the implicitly generated outline shows the effect of the query rewrite for
us. We can plainly see that our constant X was turned into a bind variable for
us. This SQL was stored for us.

Depending on your needs, both methods may be applicable. It is just important to
understand that there is a subtle different between the explicitly generated

plan, and the implicitly generated one with CURSOR_SHARING enabled.

so, yes you can -- and the side effects are as above -- beyond the normal side
effects of cursor sharing."

        Going over my command sequence to try and identify what is missing. Like I said I got idea from PS Red Paper we talked about before, but this is not PS database.

	Thanks
	Larry