Re: Querying V$ views within scripts

From: stephen booth <stephenbooth.uk_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2004 13:25:03 +0000

On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 13:09:08 -0000, Johnson, George <GJohnson_at_gam.com> wrote:

> Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think putting ALL the
> tablespaces into backup mode at once, is a good idea. Depending on the
> activity the redo would increase quite dramatically.
>
> Rgds

I don't think it's a particularly good idea either, and have stated so and why. Unfortunately eventually you reach the point where you have to just say "Please put that instruction in writing." and do it. When the whole thing blows up you pull out the correspondance history you printed out and filed showing them asking you and you explaining why it's a bad idea.

Managers hire us for our technical skills then proceed to ignore our advice. Sadly you reach the point where your choices are leave or cover your ass and do it.

In this case they want *hourly* backups of the database to minimise dataloss. I told them that with the redo logs I can use the previous night's backup and roll forward to any point in time before the failure, but see above comments about managers.

Stephen