Re: Storage array advice anyone?

From: Giovanni Cuccu <gcuccu_at_dianoema.it>
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2004 12:13:11 +0100

Hi all,

        I'd like to share my experience with you. I never been involved in setting up such storage systems, but the company I work with has several hundred of customers sites in Italy each with al least one server equipped with RAID 1 or 5.
During the last year we encountered some problems only with RAID 5. I followed some of them and the most frequent error is the following: when a write fails due to a parity check the controller marks the wrong disk as bad causing all the system to be unusable. This happend more than once and usually the solution (at the hardware level) was firmware/driver update. Now, when I can decide the raid type   I always choose RAID 10.
This is my real world experience, but others may have different one. Giovanni

Giovanni Cuccu
Sw Engineer_at_dianoema.it
Dianoema S.p.A.
Via de' Carracci 93 40131 Bologna