RE: separate tablespaces for tables and indexes

From: Hollis, Les <Les.Hollis_at_ps.net>
Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2004 14:36:48 -0600

>>"i was taught the same thing in 2002 on a dba course - until oracle stop >>promoting it, myths will never die - but this one is pretty harmless >>really"

Actually, that is STILL taught in DBA Funds I course....

This is cut from that course Lesson 11 Managing Tables

"Creating a Table: Guidelines
Place tables in separate tablespaces, not in the tablespace that has undo segments, temporary segments, and indexes. Place tables in locally managed tablespaces to avoid fragmentation."

AND from Lesson 12 Managing Indexes

"Creating Indexes: Guidelines
Consider the following while creating an index: Indexes speed up query performance and slow down DML operations. Always minimize the number of indexes needed on volatile tables. Place indexes in a separate tablespace, not in a tablespace that has undo segments, temporary segments, and tables. There could be significant performance gain for large indexes by avoiding redo generation. Consider using the NOLOGGING clause for creating large indexes.
Because index entries are smaller compared to the rows they index, index blocks tend to have more entries per block. For this reason, INITRANS should generally be higher on indexes than on the corresponding tables."

As of a course I taught this fall at my local community college.