RE: separate tablespaces for tables and indexes

From: Post, Ethan <Ethan.Post_at_ps.net>
Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2004 13:28:18 -0600

Tom,

I think the argument that is going to be made is that index io's and table io's are sequential so there was never a performance benefit within a single session regardless of disk configuration. =20

The second argument that would be made is that since IO is IO is IO, you are better off figuring out which segments get the most IO and splitting that across disks then blindly splitting all index and table segments.

There are some really smart people that argue there actually was a benefit to splitting indexes and tables but they are in the minority, most of the really smart people hold to the two arguments above. As for me I just try to figure out who the really smart people are and do what they say :)