RE: separate tablespaces for tables and indexes

From: Mercadante, Thomas F <thomas.mercadante_at_labor.state.ny.us>
Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2004 14:15:06 -0500

Jeff,

In my view, separating indexes and tables was never about tablespace contention. It was always about moving the index and table files onto separate disk drives to avoid disk contention.

Now that we have SAN disk where the 10 mount points that we see on a Unix box are actually split from the 3 hard disk drives on the SAN box, I'm not sure that splitting indexes and tables for performance matter anymore.

If you are going to use automatic allocation of segments for the database objects, it would be interesting to hear from the experts if the separation of these objects really matters.

However, I still do it for management of database objects - mostly because index segment usage is so much smaller that table segment usage.

Hope this helps.

Tom