RE: SAP/Oracle

From: <Kip.Bryant_at_Vishay.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2004 10:18:10 -0800

Hi,

I wasn't making any recommendation one way or the other. The decision process occurred 10 years ago in this organization and was made by business analysts and, of course, not IT. And there was a bit of primary-stock-holder-was-German politics tossed in at the time (not relevant now). JDE was not considered. Current parent company acquires other companies all the time and one acquisition (roughly the size of the company I'm situated at) has 3 (4?) different production instances to run their company. I can't comment on JDE but this argument sounds like my argument for the "awful" legacy system that I used to support. It made far slimmer use of system resources, was simpler to manage/program, and was very stable (10 years ago)...but, goodness, it was a green screen non-client server system so people in charge at the time thought of it as a dinosaur not long for this world. whatever...

And to Nuno -- my point was that outsourcing/offshoring is a real concern in the U.S. regardless of whether or not SAP is used.

Kip