Re: looking for a good way to change manage oracle

From: mhthomas <qnxodba_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 11 Dec 2004 11:19:05 -0500

Hi Ryan,

On Fri, 10 Dec 2004 17:07:37 +0000, ryan_gaffuri_at_comcast.net <ryan_gaffuri_at_comcast.net> wrote:
> the developers cannot make any modifcations to structure. This is not a simple system. We have hundreds of objects that include everything from partitions, to IOTs, to objects. Multiple users, multiple tablespaces, and multiple datafiles.
>
> Its large. There are 300 people on the project. I really am hoping for an automated tool to help us. I am really hoping we can get an automated process. We are even having

I'm not aware of a tool that does all you ask, but many tools get part of the info and may help. I think its an additional requirement (on top of schema compare) to manage developers contributions to "objects in the database".

We built our own system, because we had strange requirements. Probably the first time you get a really complete looking tool, someone will throw in a v7 or v80 Oracle instance, or some other wierdness. :-) BTW, when we started discussing this stuff at an enterprise level then we were bumping into enterprise architects and their favorite tools and processes. Pretty soon you have many 'non-functional' requirements (pun intended).

I think you have two major tasks, and if you manage these you will get close to your goal. The first task to automate is a 'simple inventory' of objects in the database. You don't need much detail to make a good comparison. The 'simple' idea is a big list of objects, and maybe a few details like creation time and permissions. The second task is to automate comparison of object details, drilling down to your required level of detail.

Break it into two tasks because the first task can usually be done very quickly, especially if you manage it with metadata. Many times the first task will also identify the critical problems.

The object details (2nd task) are much more time consuming to compare and resolve in my experience. And, there are usually many ways to manage these problems. Its up to you to decide.

HTH Regards,

Mike Thomas