Re: Differences between HP unix and Solaris

From: M.Godlewski <mcgodlewski_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Dec 2004 12:28:25 -0800 (PST)

Thanks for the information. I'll take a look tboss_at_bossconsulting.com wrote:There's plenty of differences, if you're a sysadmin responsible for maintaining hp versus sun boxes.

Working on Oracle overtop the two flavors? I'd argue its not nearly as important what version of unix sits underneath your database. We do dev over HP here, prod on Sun, and really do very little differently in the two environments b/c of OS differences.

Here's one of my favorite Unix reference sites on the net: it shows all the various flavors of unix and what commands are equivalent to each other. You can select Solaris and HP/UX in the top left and redraw the table to see the two flavors side by side, to get a feel for how different their sysadmin commands can be:

http://bhami.com/rosetta.html

my 2 cents, boss