RE: Intel-Hyperthread-Linux-Oracle

From: david hill <david.hill_at_lechateau.ca>
Date: Thu, 9 Dec 2004 17:02:46 -0500

Looks like you got a nice rep. Les

Here's what Oracle says in their licensing definition.

http://oraclestore.oracle.com/OA_HTML/ibeCCtpSctDspRte.jsp?section=11365 <http://oraclestore.oracle.com/OA_HTML/ibeCCtpSctDspRte.jsp?section=11365&me dia=os_g_english_help_licensing> &media=os_g_english_help_licensing

Processor: shall be defined as all processors where the Oracle programs are installed and/or running. Programs licensed on a Processor basis may be accessed by your internal users (including agents and contractors) and by your third party users. For the purposes of counting the number of processors which require licensing, a multicore chip with "n" processor cores shall be counted as "n" processors.

Good news is though, it looks like the industry going to be pushing oracle to change it. Little Story at the Register today http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/12/09/mcnealy_oracle_pricing/ <http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/12/09/mcnealy_oracle_pricing/>

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org
[mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of Christian Antognini Sent: Thursday, December 09, 2004 10:13 AM To: richard.c.ji_at_gmail.com
Cc: oracle-l_at_freelists.org

Hi Richard

>I wonder what Oracle's licensing plans are for CPUs that
>are: Hyper-threading, dual-core. Anyone has any insights
>to share?

No idea about hyper-threading but I know that multi-core CPUs are not = =3D
counted as a single processor! i.e. dual-core means to CPU for the =3D license.

Chris