RE: What operations should be performed as SYS

From: Powell, Mark D <mark.powell_at_eds.com>
Date: Wed, 8 Dec 2004 14:39:38 -0500

Under OS group authentication for sysdba users:

Start/Stop/Recover the db

Run Oracle provided scripts that specify that the script is to be ran as SYS such as optional $ORACLE_HOME/rdbms/admin/cat*, dbms*, and utl* scripts.

Application of Oracle patch sets and upgrade scripts as specified in the installation documentation

It looks like this pretty much matches what you took from the manual.

HTH -- Mark D Powell --