Re: RMAN Restore to New Host

From: Boris Dali <boris_dali_at_yahoo.ca>
Date: Wed, 8 Dec 2004 08:39:20 -0800 (PST)

Yes, I found FM quite useful on this (along with Robert's book and metalink):

http://download-west.oracle.com/docs/cd/B10501_01/server.920/a96566/rcmrecov.htm#1007514

If your original host is unavailable, than I think it becomes a DR scenario, where "duplicate" is inappropriate. The basic steps are:
- restore spfile (depending on whether or not the catalog is in use - from autobackup or normal backupset)

- restore control file and mount the db
- restore/recover the rest
- open resetlogs

Since no MML is involved, the only difficult part might be to make backups available to rman at the same location as on the original host (NFS mount - if orig host is still alive, "backup backupset", soft links, etc. do the trick)

Thanks,
Boris Dali.

> This should be a simple RMAN task but I can't find
> the "recipe" to do it....
>
> I want to restore my backup (assume backup to disk -
> no MML considerations) to a new host. I know about
> the duplicate command but this assumes that the
> original target is available. What if my original
> server has died? (don't worry - only a test!)
>
> I'm sure this is a RTFM - but what FM to R?
>
> Thanks
> - Charlotte

Do you Yahoo!?
Yahoo! Mail - 250MB free storage. Do more. Manage less. http://info.mail.yahoo.com/mail_250