CTRL-M Problem

From: Wayne Bastow <ayu.njoman_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 8 Dec 2004 14:10:47 +1100

Hi,

I'm moving some tables from Sybase to Oracle (9i). I can dump the data out from Sybase into files using ~ as the field seperator and <CR> for the record end. The problem I have is that some of the fields have ^M in them. I have used sed to replace the ^M's with <br> html tag (The data ends up in Oracle and is accessed using PHP via a browser). The problem is that there is still a <CR> after the <br> tag meaning that sqlldr has trouble loading these records. I have tried sed s/^M$/\<br\>/g without luck. An example record which causes problems looks like:

3~5HIAA 24 Hr Urine
           ~U5HIAAT                                           ~~St
Vincent's~Biochemistry                                      ~Note UVOL
and pH on request form. Aliquot 100mls send refrigerated. Acid bottles (30ml 60% HCl) required for collection.~Urine container is available from Pathology Ext 3223. Please provide details of current medications.^M
Dietary instructions: for at least 12 hours prior to and during collection of 24 hour urine, avoid consuming the following - avocados, bananas, pineapples, plums, tomatoes, nuts, chocolate, eggplant, kiwifruit, figs, grapes. These foods contain chemicals which may interfere with laboratory testing.~10 days~~WD ~E ~~7~~~~~~

Using the above sed gives me ^M replaced by <br> but it still has the <CR> in it meaning that sqlldr sees it as two lines.

Anyone sorted this one out before?

Thanks,
Wayne