Re: What not to do in a standby environment ?

From: Carel-Jan Engel <cjpengel.dbalert_at_xs4all.nl>
Date: Tue, 07 Dec 2004 12:07:56 +0100

Hi Prem,
On first thought, your list seems quite complete, you might include 'truncate' as well. I had some bad experiences with the truncate. Others say that truncate isn't a problem, I had reproducable problems with it on 8.1.7.4 on AIX. It was 2 years ago, alas I have no longer access to that environment to test further. Maybe you can try and tell us?

The case was:
Truncate the table
Start filling it again.

The standby started complaining when the logfiloes with the inserts got applied. This was a Data Guard set-up, though.

It happened all over the time, there was a JDEdwards application using temporary tables. JDEdwards had this 'intelligent feature' that translated a DELETE statement without a where-clause into a TRUNCATE.

You might consider using Data Guard in your environment, it's available and for free. It makes the management of your standby quite somewhat easier. Actually, it took me just a day to get the first setup working, and when I do Data Guard setup on 8.1.7 now it just takes an hour or 3-4 to get it running. When you have a very large database that needs to be copied for instantiation it might take somewhat longer, but when you perform an instantiate and skip all your tablespaces (you have a copy available already) you must be able to do this quite fast.

It's documented here:
http://otn.oracle.com/docs/deploy/availability/pdf/A95293_01.pdf

You can download it from
http://otn.oracle.com/software/deploy/availability/index.html

It even automigically creates new datafiles on the standby, and has some elementary automatic log-gap detection and repair (FAL in 9i),

Best regards,

Carel-Jan Engel

===
If you think education is expensive, try ignorance. (Derek Bok) ===