RE: db_file_multiblock_read_count and performance

From: Gogala, Mladen <MGogala_at_allegientsystems.com>
Date: Mon, 6 Dec 2004 14:52:20 -0500

I would expect the real answer to be something like: "Desperately seeking for the fountain of youth, perpetuum mobile,  philosopher's stone and the _make_applications_run_much_faster parameter". Now, if you take a feather from a black rooster, snake poison and a wing from a bat, add certain herbs and make into a potion on Friday the 13th, at mindinght, while stirring counterclockwise, you might find what you're looking for.
--

Mladen Gogala
Ext. 121

From: ryan_gaffuri_at_comcast.net [mailto:ryan_gaffuri_at_comcast.net]=20 Sent: Monday, December 06, 2004 12:21 PM To: Oracle-L_at_freelists.org
Subject: db_file_multiblock_read_count and performance

I have been testing this extensively over the last few months. I do a full table scan with a db_file_multiblock_read_count =3D 1 and then one = =3D
128( i check the 10046 trace to verify i am getting this much) and I see absolutely no difference whatsoever in response time.=20 i am doing=20
select count(*)
from heap_table;
I have tested this on windows xp, solaris, with EMC, netapp, and regular old cheap off the shelf hard drives. I have tested it in 8.1.7, 9.0,9.1,9.2.
has anyone see a response time improvement from this parameter anywhere?

http://www.freelists.org/webpage/oracle-l Received on Mon Dec 06 2004 - 13:58:49 CST