Re: fetch across commit

From: Steve Rospo <srospo_at_watchmark.com>
Date: Fri, 3 Dec 2004 16:43:43 -0800 (PST)

[Appolgies if this gets double posted, I got an "overquote" bounce. ]

 I haven't tried a "where current of" or the "order by" workarounds, but I  usually just push the data into some sort of PL/SQL collection. It's got  the same transactional semantics with no (real) risk of 1555s with only a  minor code tweak. Even if there wasn't a commit in the loop, this might  be a good technique to prevent the RBSs from getting enormous if the inner  part of the loop took an *extremely* long time.

 If you do a bulk collect, you get the added benefit of doing a single  round trip, rather than a row by row fetch. (I think 9i or 10g does a  transparent optimization here, turning your row by row fetch into a bulk  under the covers)

 S-