RE: Data modeling Tablespace mapping, Re-org

From: DENNIS WILLIAMS <DWILLIAMS_at_LIFETOUCH.COM>
Date: Wed, 1 Dec 2004 08:20:55 -0600

I still keep forgetting to reply to all. I sent this reply last night, but then realized that I needed to post it to the list in case someone could provide a better answer.

BN
  Since I don't see where anyone has replied to your posting yet, I will offer a few comments for what they are worth. 1. What your management is saying is that they want to keep the physical model in the data modeling tool. This is okay, provided they understand how to map logical attributes to a physical implementation. 2. It is normal practice to store the largest tables in their own tablespace. Most of us do that as a normal practice. It makes for easier manageability, like moving a table.
3. You didn't mention whether constraints were enabled on these tables. Not a big point, but keep that in mind when you are planning any moves. 4. What I would really recommend to management is to purchase the partitioning option. That offers most of the advantages you are trying to accomplish, and many more advantages. If you are going to the trouble of shifting the data around, moving it into partitions would make the effort more worthwhile.
5. Most of the reasons you give for moving this data relate to shortening recovery time and you only slightly mention performance. In my mind if you could provide performance improvement estimates, that would strengthen your argument. It is also worth checking out to ensure your project wouldn't hurt performance.
6. You don't mention what the business requirements for recovery time are. Obviously the OLTP systems must be recovered quickly, but sometimes the business is willing to tolerate a longer downtime for a reporting server. Your arguments to management will be much stronger if you understand the business requirements.
7. The tone of your discussion seems to imply that failure is very likely. Is this true in your situation? Heck, I've personally had systems run for years without a failure. Be sure you've done everything you can to reduce the possibility of failure. Check out the practices that can help avoid failure and make some suggestions of this to management. This includes hardware (like RAID) and configuration (multiplexing control files and redo logs) and practices (do not make a change on the production server unless you've made the change on the test server first). If the system is going to fail each month, then changes to reduce the downtime might be worthwhile. On the other hand, if you can reduce the probability of failure to once every 10 years, then who cares if it takes an extra day to get the system going again.
8. Bear in mind that moving data around isn't exactly a zero risk endeavor.

Dennis Williams
DBA
Lifetouch, Inc.