Re: Rookie Error?

From: Matthew Zito <mzito_at_gridapp.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2004 11:55:39 -0500

Yeah, in a RAC environment what makes it angry is trying to call interface status ioctls on the loopback interface - which of course isn't a real interface at all. Programatically, there's no reason Oracle couldn't have had it return some sane error message like, "Tried to attach to interface that does not support necessary information - ip (blah) interface (blah)", etc. etc. Instead, the cluster manager just crashes with gibberish and numbers that obviously indicate type overflows.

10g is extra dumb, because it actually uses the output from uname() or gethostname() (we haven't determined which) to determine its node identity in a CRS config - its not smart enough to store ip information, or be told that on the fly. When we implemented 10g support in our software, that was one of the multitude of new 10g RAC annoyances.

Thanks,
Matt

--
Matthew Zito