Re[1] : Recovery Scenarios - Help !!

From: Prem Khanna J <premj_at_rediffmail.com>
Date: 29 Nov 2004 14:30:13 -0000

Hi Peter , thanx a lot for ur reply.
>>Case 1
>>------
>If you lose the undo tablespace the instance will crash, after the recovery of the undo tablespace
>(asuming that you hae a backup and can appliy archive and redologs) >when the database starts it
>will do instance recovery and rollback all uncommited transactions.

When UNDO tablespace is lost , where from does oracle get the information to rollback ? This is not very clear to me.

>>Case 2
>>------
>>I have lost my temp tablespace during a batch job which does lot of sort/update.
>>- What will be the status of my batch job and how do i recover by temp tablespace now ?

>This depends on the way you have written the batch program :
>1) If the batch program detects the problem and issues a rollback of the last uncommitted transaction and stops you don't
> have a problem :-)
>2) If the batch program just quits on error then Pmon will do the rollback of the uncommitted transaction.

So anyway , the transaction will be rolled back and i'm safe . am i right ?

>>Case 3
>>------
>>I have lost an un-archived online redo log file.The proper recovery procedure is :
>>- restore all datafiles from backup
>>- mount the database
>>- recover until cancel
>>- open resetlogs
>>
>>Without restoring datafiles from backup,Can i do this :
>>- mount the database
>>- recover until cancel
>>- open resetlogs

when i recover/resetlogs without restoring the datafiles from backup , the database will be inconsistent state ... am i right ?

Thanks and Regards,
Prem.