Re: Feel good today (lost control file recovery)

From: Giovanni Cuccu <gcuccu_at_dianoema.it>
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2004 12:28:16 +0100

Hi,

        I remember (but I'm not 100% sure) that when issuing 'recover database using backup control file' you are telling oracle to use datafiles scn and not to check controlfile scn. During the recovery process the controlfile is updated accordingly.
Hope it helps,

        Giovanni
> here is the Scenario-
>
> Your d/b is in archive log mode,
> you lost control files, so the instance crashed.
>
> Assuming now you are starting with a backup control file,
> (either text or binary version).
>
> If you restore the control file that was checkpointed much earlier,
> oracle will prompt for recovery, so at MOUNT stage ,
> you are issuing a RECOVER DATABASE command,
>
> So what happens during RECOVER DATABASE command,
>
> is that called a media recovery (involving control file) ?
> in which you are recovering control-file
> ( by applying archived/on-line redoLogs ?!)
>
> I assume finally the recoverd control file will have the SCN ,etc.. in sync
> with
> other database files.
>
> Any insight into these control file recovery process is most welcome.
>
> Thanks
> Vasu.

Giovanni Cuccu
Sw Engineer_at_dianoema.it