Re: Limitations of MSSQL Server Vs. Oracle OR simply otherwise li mitations in general - OT

From: mhthomas <qnxodba_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2004 23:46:32 -0500

Hi,

in-line

On Thu, 25 Nov 2004 00:22:03 +0000, Niall Litchfield <niall.litchfield_at_gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 24 Nov 2004 12:21:39 -0500, mhthomas <qnxodba_at_gmail.com> wrote:
>
> SQL 2005 isn't vapourware. It *is* late, but it is already in late
> beta. It will happen. It ought to take market share from Oracle.
> --

Agreed. But, yes it is vapourware. Some people would say its vapourware until the first patch release, too. ;-)

I have an MSDN Univeral and the 2005 beta. But, I'm sure you also remember the previous release parties. Like the one where (I think) Steve Ballmer announced to everyone that "when we do release the product we want to make sure its ready". What a party. I asked the guy next to me, "did he just say its not going to be released today?". Three months later, it was released.

Anyway, MS is one of the worst companies on the globe to release vapourware for competitive purposes, and follow up with the real product much later (in my opinion). They make Larry look like a wanna-be for marketing vapourware (again, in my opinion).

But, in the end analysis, it really does not matter, because I support whatever the customer uses, wants, or pays me to use. No big deal. I expect SQL Server 2005 to be a better product than v7 and v2000, so its welcome.

Now if Firefox had a built in database, maybe SQL Server 2005 would never see the light of day. ;-)

Regards,

Mike Thomas