RE: DBA Interview Questions

From: Alex <stant_98_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2004 12:01:39 -0800 (PST)

Thia may actually take 2 hrs of a good discussion. I'd personally hire this guy if he answered 80% of these questions! "Bobak, Mark" <Mark.Bobak_at_il.proquest.com> wrote:I think one of the best ones is from Tom Kyte.

Describe the various components that make up a database. Then, go into detail describing the various components that make up an instance. How do these components interact and work together?

Anyone who can do a good job describing the databases (datafiles, redo, controlfiles) and the instance (various background processes and what they do, SGA, how it's divided up, etc) is going to have a pretty good knowledge of Oracle.

If candidate survives that one, favorite questions seem to be:

Describe a recent database corruption issue and how you recovered from = it.

What's a nested loop join? Sort-merge join? Hash join? semi-join? anti-join? Self-join? outer join?

Describe scenarios where it may or may not be appropriate to use a B*Tree or bitmap index.

Describe your approach to tuning SQL. What tools do you use? How do you approach the problem? How can you measure the improvement that's been achieved?

A user complains that the system is slow. What do you do? Where do you begin?

There's some questions that ought to keep him busy for a while...;-)

Good luck,

-Mark