Re: DBA Interview Questions

From: Paul Drake <bdbafh_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2004 14:45:18 -0500

Don,

What if his/her answer concerning RAC was: "You probably don't need RAC. Most data warehouses aren't that high availability and state governments don't likely have the budgets to support the staff to manage all of that additional complexity." (unless you're talking about the state lottery, of course).

What if his answer to histograms was "They likely do more damage than good and I only use them where I'm sure they are appropriate - and in 10g I just let oracle gather them for skewonly" - and she/he kept a straight face.

I wonder what would happen if someone just quoted *Ag shells* in an interview - how far they would get. They might identify them as having "management material" written all over them.

I'd be interested if they paid overtime for monthly maintenance periods for rebuilding indexes.

Paul