DBA Interview Questions

From: Freeman, Donald <dofreeman_at_state.pa.us>
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2004 14:29:02 -0500

We have a position open suddenly and I'll be participating in = interviewing my contract co-dba next week for a Oracle 9i data warehouse = position. One of the resumes I read mentioned the applicant had = experience in performance tuning by 'tuning buffer cache hit ratios' and = that made me want to buckle down and ask a few appropriate questions.

I first plan to ask what a buffer cache hit ratio is and then what a = 10046 trace is: If they can explain how to use it and explain waits = then I'll know I've got a winner. =20

Whats the quickest way to find out if somebody knows something about = tuning? I'm just a novice myself and would like to be sure that the = guy/gal we hire knows more than I do and can strengthen us in that area. =

The guy we interviewed today didn't know what system stats and = histograms were and didn't know what RAC was. Hopefully we'll do = better next week when we resume. If anybody is interested in these = kind of contract positions you have to get on the list with Deloitte and = Touche. They are our primary contractors.=20

Don Freeman
Database Administrator 1
Pennsylvania Dept of Health
Bureau of Information Technology