RE: Important: Oracle processes taking lots of CPU

From: Cary Millsap <cary.millsap_at_hotsos.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2004 13:21:58 -0600

Both the time spent in user mode (%usr) spinning for a latch and the = time
spent in kernel mode (%sys) contribute to the c statistic shown in = extended
SQL trace files.

If your system is enduring a lot of preemptions (context switching), you = can
also detect that in your extended SQL trace data by noticing that a significant proportion of your total response time is unaccounted for. = You
can detect unaccounted-for time in your extended SQL trace data, but I = don't
think there's any way to detect it Oracle's V$/X$ data.

Cary Millsap
Hotsos Enterprises, Ltd.
http://www.hotsos.com
* Nullius in verba *

Upcoming events:

- Performance Diagnosis 101: 1/4 Calgary
- SQL Optimization 101: 11/8 Dallas, 12/13 Atlanta
- Hotsos Symposium 2005: March 6-10 Dallas
- Visit www.hotsos.com for schedule details...