RE: Important: Oracle processes taking lots of CPU

From: New DBA <new_dba_on_the_block_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2004 06:53:28 -0800 (PST)

Hi Mark,

> But I'll toss in a few bits anyway. The man page
> section on the system call
> or library reference "select" is often not loaded on
> various derivatives of
> Dennis Ricthie's operating system.

Man page shows the following information (extract):

NAME
      select - synchronous I/O multiplexing

 SYNOPSIS
      #include <sys/time.h>

      int select(int nfds, fd_set *readfds, fd_set *writefds, fd_set

      *errorfds, struct timeval *timeout);

      void FD_CLR(int fd, fd_set *fdset);

      int FD_ISSET(int fd, fd_set *fdset);

      void FD_SET(int fd, fd_set *fdset);

      void FD_ZERO(fd_set *fdset);

 DESCRIPTION
      The select() function indicates which of the specified file

      descriptors is ready for reading, ready for writing, or has an error

      condition pending. If the specified condition is false for all of the

      specified file descriptors, select() blocks, up to the specified

      timeout interval, until the specified condition is true for at least

      one of the specified file descriptors.

      The select() function supports regular files, terminal and pseudoterminal

       devices, STREAMS-based files, FIFOs and pipes. The behaviour

      of select() on file descriptors that refer to other types of file is

      unspecified.

Having little OS knowledge, not sure what it means! Please let me know if you can figure out why the process is calling this function almost infinitely and what impact does it have!

Thanx
New DBA

Do you Yahoo!?
Yahoo! Mail - Helps protect you from nasty viruses. http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail