RE: Multiplex Redo Logs with Mirrored Disks?

From: Guang Mei <gmei_at_incyte.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2004 14:49:36 -0500

We tested both situations for quite a while. And I found there is no need to multiplex redo logs with mirrored disks. We had it running for over two years without any problems (lucky). Also this speeds up our weekly DB import process quite a bit (saving about 3 hours out of 10 hours).

Guang

From: David Wagoner [mailto:dwagoner_at_arsenaldigital.com]=20 Sent: Tuesday, November 23, 2004 10:47 AM To: ORACLE-L (E-mail)
Subject: Multiplex Redo Logs with Mirrored Disks?

Is there any need to multiplex redo logs with mirrored disks (e.g., RAID-1
or RAID-1+0)?
Example- Oracle recommends multiplexing redo logs on separate disks, like
redo01a.log on Disk1 and redo01b.log on Disk2, etc.

However, now that mirrored disks are in common use with RAID-1+0, RAID-1,
etc. it seems that sufficient protection is in place to use only a single
copy of each redo log. This would also provide the benefit of reduced disk
I/O to write redo information to disk.

Anyone disagree?

Best regards,

David B. Wagoner