Oracle 8i to Oracle 9i

From: Kline.Michael <Michael.Kline_at_SunTrust.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2004 11:39:41 -0500

We're about to convert a HP box running about 4-5 databases running 8.1.7.4 to 9.2.0.4.
(HP-UX fl016d49 B.11.11 U 9000/800 3352025259 unlimited-user license)

Going to:

Oracle9i Enterprise Edition Release 9.2.0.4.0 - 64bit Production

With the Partitioning, OLAP and Oracle Data Mining options

JServer Release 9.2.0.4.0 - Production

Oracle8i Enterprise Edition Release 8.1.7.4.0 - Production

With the Partitioning option

JServer Release 8.1.7.4.0 - Production

I did another box successfully, but it only had one database.

We are going from 32 bit to 64 bit Oracle.

Previously (or currently) they use Memory Windows to hold the space for the databases to go into so we can load them all in. Obviously 9i won't need this and will probably refuse to run under memory windows.

The "opportunity" here is that it will take time to convert the databases, perhaps 1-2 weeks each.

So unlike the other box, I'll have 9 running without memory windows and 1-3 version 8 databases running with memory windows along with PeopleSoft and PowerMart.

As far as I know it's the only box like this.

Are there any known problems to this configuration or with the conversion.

The other box finally converted, but one of the things I had to do was pull all references to memory windows. I won't be able to do that here until everything is converted.

Being that it's the only box like this, I may not get anyone who's been through it, but it's worth a try.

Michael Kline
Database Administration
SunTrust Technology Center
1030 Wilmer Avenue
Richmond, Virginia 23227
Outside 804.261.9446
STNet 643.9446

Cell 804.744.1545
 <mailto:michael.kline_at_suntrust.com> michael.kline_at_suntrust.com

The information transmitted is intended solely for the individual or entity to which it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged material. Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of or taking action in reliance upon this information by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you have received this email in error please contact the sender and delete the material from any computer.