RE: Important: Oracle processes taking lots of CPU

From: Mark W. Farnham <mwf_at_rsiz.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2004 11:03:22 -0500

Give that man a cigar!

But I'll toss in a few bits anyway. The man page section on the system call or library reference "select" is often not loaded on various derivatives of Dennis Ricthie's operating system.

In brief, last time I checked the arguments were (nfds, readfds, writefds, exceptfds, timeout),
where nfds is the size of the structure (makes some sense that it is a constant), and the "fds" are file descriptors. If you're reading, then read and except should be non-zero, if you're writing then write and except should be non-zero. That looks like a really big number for timeout.

I wonder if this is a zombie (shadow process, two_task, pick your name for it) that is disconnected and something else is now inadvertantly using the same descriptor, causing this process to repeatedly be falsely woken. Then its activity would cause it to survive any timeout and keep sitting on the select if it is in a spot where Oracle wants it to wait for a reply.

Heh. A truss daemon rotating through Oracle back ends might be a lightweight way to check for candidate zombies to kill.

Then again, you might be really waiting in a competitive race for access, but I'm don't grok why both read and write are filled in and a number that looks like a file descriptor is in the timeout argument.

Regards,

mwf