DBA needed in the bay area

From: Jeremiah Wilton <jwilton_at_speakeasy.net>
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 2004 12:04:18 -0800 (PST)

As some of you know, I assist in the DBA hiring process for a small number of organizations. I am currently helping GetActive Software, a small company in Berkeley. I taught a seminar there a few months ago and was impressed by their attitude and the technical caliber of their staff. They remind me of Amazon.com in the early days.

They build and host web-based applications, primarily for non-profits. There is a page on what they do at http://www.getactive.com/about_us

In addition to sending mail to the address at the bottom, you may also just email me with your resume and/or questions.

This will be a one-time posting.

--
Jeremiah Wilton
Independent Oracle Professional

Oracle Database Administrator
Location:  Berkeley, CA

GetActive Software is currently seeking a talented Oracle database
administrator.

The ideal candidate will have experience with concurrent and highly
available distributed Oracle systems. Candidates should have a proven
ability to rapidly master complex new skills and concepts, as well as
the ability to work independently and self-motivate. Successful
candidates for this position will have the ability to rapidly
troubleshoot complex technical problems. Excellent interpersonal
communication skills are required.

The successful candidate will primarily have responsibility for day to
day operations and administration, but will also work with software
development to assist with scalability, design principles and tuning.

Knowledge of supporting infrastructure components including operating
systems, hardware, storage configurations and networks is
required. Candidates should have excellent Unix skills and a grasp of
fundamental computing concepts such as system calls, memory management
and program debugging.

Successful candidates will also have some combination of the following
skills and experience:

- Experience in maintaining large-scale database-driven Internet
applications using Oracle as the back-end.
- Familiarity with the product development life cycle

- Exceptional resourcefulness and problem solving skills

- Ability to explain complex technical information to individuals with
a wide variety of backgrounds
- Experience managing projects

- Veritas VCS and Storage Foundation experience helpful

- Ability to assist in capacity planning

- Knowledge of state-of-the-art web technologies, networking
infrastructure, systems integration, interoperability, and relational database design
- Share primary point of contact duties for 24/7 on-call tasks

- Experience must include advanced skills in Oracle 8i and 9i design,
administration, performance optimization, PL/SQL, schema design, troubleshooting, data conversion and data warehousing
- Solaris 8 and 9; SuSE Linux fundamentals

- General knowledge of systems administration concepts such as: NFS,
RAID configurations, web servers, XML, email applications, networking, diagnostics. Using the Internet, GetActive Software provides organizations with a "best of breed" operations platform. Our suite of online applications enables customers to easily create and maintain their own websites, raise money online, and communicate effectively with their constituents while building communities. Join our growing organization to provide strategic engineering leadership. This is an exceptional opportunity for an exceptional individual. To help us understand you better, please write a detailed cover letter describing your background as it relates to this job description. Please put your name, "Oracle DBA", and the city where you currently live in the subject line. Send your cover letter and resume along with your salary history to: dba-hire_at_getactive.com. (no phone calls please) GetActive Software is an Equal Opportunity Employer. -- http://www.freelists.org/webpage/oracle-l