Re: [OT] HOWTO's of messing up Linux cluster?

From: Matthew Zito <mzito_at_gridapp.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 2004 09:26:20 -0500

Like some other people said, I'd highly recommend looking at the optimizer plans for those reports. The interconnect is another place where we see our customers that have tried to deploy RAC on their own have problems -- they use 100mbit or Gigabit through a slow switch, etc.

The other question - could the methodology be flawed? As an example, I was once handling a datacenter migration for my employer and we had just built a brand-new database cluster at the new site. I turned it over to the DBAs to do their production testing on, and an hour later they came running back claiming the new cluster was 3x SLOWER than the old one, despite being twice as large and twice the cpu speed. After some troubleshooting that showed nothing, I asked them to show me what they were running. They were running a report on both database clusters that spooled all of the output to the screen - except the current "faster" database cluster was located in the office on the LAN and the new "slower" database cluster was connected to the office over a high-latency VPN link. When they spooled the report output to disk instead of screen, the new cluster was 4x faster. Make sure the testing scenarios are apples/apples.

Also, if you could let us know if you find the problem, I'd be interested to know.

Thanks,
Matt

--
Matthew Zito