Re: OT: we do not use

From: Mladen Gogala <gogala_at_sbcglobal.net>
Date: Sun, 21 Nov 2004 19:56:34 +0000

On 11/19/2004 11:55:58 AM, Paul Drake wrote:
> I just received a Network World magazine solicitation phone call.

>=20

> caller: Can I verify your current email address as <asdf>.?
> me: I can verify that is not correct.
> Caller: can I have your correct email address?
> me: no. we don't use networks here.
> caller: can I have an email address of a co-worker that handles your
> network?
> me: no. they don't use networks either.
> caller: oh. ok. thanks for your time. goodbye.
>=20
> somehow the day now seems brighter.

My method is somewhat different:
Caller: Sir, this is not a marketing call, I am calling just to

        verify...
Me:     Sorry, I cannot talk right now, give me your home number and
        I'll call you later.
Caller: No problem. Our number is 1-800-.....
Me:     No, not the 800 number, give me you presonal home number, I
        will call you.
Caller: Sir, we don't do that. You cannot call me at my home.
Me:     And what the f...alafel makes you think that you can call me
        at my home, then?

I usually feel good after that. I installed a block for the people not =20 revealing their phone numbers and I've put my number in the "do not =20 call" list. BTW, falafel is a dietary (and otherwise) a preference of the "no-spin zone" host.

--=20
Mladen Gogala
Oracle DBA