RE: 8.1.7.4 migration from 32 bit to 64 bit problem

From: Karen Morton <karen.morton_at_hotsos.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 2004 16:04:11 -0800

Kathy,

If you're getting a cartesian join in the "bad" plan, check to see if = the cardinality of
the first row source of the cartesian thinks one row is being returned = by that row source
operation. At times the optimizer will choose to do a cartesian join = thinking that it can
save some effort by buffering the 2nd row source into memory (treating = it similarly to how
it would treat a sort). If the 2nd row source is big, then the problem = you're seeing
could occur. =20

My guess is that before the section of the plan that is now doing the = cartesian was being
accomplished with a nested loops or possibly hash join. See if you can = identify the
portion that matches up for both the old plan and the new plan. If you = can isolate the
one portion of the plan that is different, you can then focus your = efforts on the part of
the predicate that is involved. Check to see that all indexes are there = that were there
before as well. A missing index could cause this shift in plan as well.

I know this may sound a bit vague, but without the plan excerpts and = query text, it's a
bit difficult to do more than speculate. =20

Hope it helps some.

Karen Morton
Hotsos Enterprises, Ltd.
http://www.hotsos.com
Upcoming events at http://www.hotsos.com/education/schedule.html

=20

From: Reidy, Ron [mailto:Ron.Reidy_at_arraybiopharma.com] Sent: Friday, November 19, 2004 3:05 PM
To: kduret_at_starkinvestments.com; mark.powell_at_eds.com; = oracle-l_at_freelists.org

Can you post both plans?

Maybe someone here can give you an idea.

Ron Reidy
Lead DBA
Array BioPharma, Inc.

From: Powell, Mark D [mailto:mark.powell_at_eds.com] Sent: Friday, November 19, 2004 2:06 PM
To: 'oracle-l_at_freelists.org'

Sometimes even a small change in plans can result in a large change in = performance for the
query depending on what the change is.

Were the statistics updated on the new version?

Was the shared pool increased in size to compensate for the additional 4 = bytes in every
address pointer used. The 64 bit version of 8.1.7 needs about a 20% = increase in the
shared pool just to run the same load in our experience, but then we = have a lot of stored
code (pl/sql in the =3D database).

Were any database parameters changed?

HTH -- Mark D Powell --