RE: checkpoint incomplete issue

From: Cary Millsap <cary.millsap_at_hotsos.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 2004 16:19:51 -0600

One thing I'm surprised nobody's mentioned is that excessive = checkpointing
can be caused by excessive writing. On occasion, we see the application = that
does something like

	update t set col=3D'X'
	where {predicates that don't include "and col<>'X'"}

Get it? If there were a bunch of "col=3D'X'" rows to begin with, you're telling Oracle to change the existing 'X' values to new 'X' values. Of course, this can be brutal on DBWR, LGWR, ARCH, processes that are = trying to
use CPU or acquire latches, undo management, etc.

I hate to see people trying to solve problems like this by randomly = hacking
parameters, adding files, or buying hardware, when the best solution = would
be to make the application not do stuff that it doesn't need to be doing = in
the first place.

Cary Millsap
Hotsos Enterprises, Ltd.
http://www.hotsos.com
* Nullius in verba *

Upcoming events:

- Performance Diagnosis 101: 1/4 Calgary
- SQL Optimization 101: 11/8 Dallas, 12/13 Atlanta
- Hotsos Symposium 2005: March 6-10 Dallas
- Visit www.hotsos.com for schedule details...