checkpoint incomplete issue

From: susan lam <susanzlam_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2004 13:29:40 -0800 (PST)

I'm running a batch updates on my database and I've been getting the following messages in my alert file: "cannot allocate new log
check point incomplete."

My job hangs waiting on log file switch (checkpoint incomplete) event.

I have 8 redo log groups (300MB members). When I did a query on v$log, all of the log members' archived status ='YES' except for the current member. So it appears that the rest of the seven groups have been archived but yet the database could not advanced to the next redo log.

Furthermore, the alert.log does not show frequent log switches. It switches log every 10mins and about every 5mins, the database complains
about "cannot allocate new log". Does not appear to be a problem with the number or size of the redo logs. Anyone has any idea what may be a possible problem? checkpoint?

thanks.

susan

Do you Yahoo!?
The all-new My Yahoo! - Get yours free! http://my.yahoo.com