Get Package, Re-write, Re-compile...

From: Post, Ethan <Ethan.Post_at_ps.net>
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2004 14:38:23 -0600

Here is the situation, I have written a PL/SQL package that grabs source code for other packages from DBA_SOURCE, goes through each line, inserts instrumentation among other things, and then inserts that source into a temporary table. This can all be accomplished using a simple call to the package. However, to recompile the new package I spool out the new source to a file and run the file, this happens via SQL*Plus.=20

Ideally I would like to recompile the new package using PL/SQL however I think DBMS_SQL has a limit of 32K and I think varchar2 limit is also 32K which I could use for execute immediate. Some of these packages are > 1MB in size. Besides writing some sort of java/c wrapper can anyone think of a way to do this?

Thanks!