RE: [Q] How many days to setup RMAN on UNIX server?

From: Hallas, John, Tech Dev <John.Hallas_at_gb.vodafone.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2004 17:31:08 -0000

You have answered your own question. In your experience 2 days should be = sufficient, which I agree with.
However Oracle are doing more than that. They are creating scripts and = performing a number of backup scenarios. Included in that time is a degree of user education.=20

If you can do all that in 2 days then good luck.

It might be best to define what backup scenarios you need to perform and = maybe negotiate a smaller number of days, somewhere between 2 and 5.

Several hours downtime seems quite extravagent. If they know what they = are doing they should be able to get away with a single relink

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org
[mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org]On Behalf Of dba1 mcc Sent: Wednesday, November 17, 2004 4:38 PM To: oracle-l_at_freelists.org
Subject: [Q] How many days to setup RMAN on UNIX server?

We plan to setup RMAN on out SUN Solaris server with ORACLE 9ir2 databases.

We are NOT purchase ORACLE modules for Veritas NETBACKUP yet. The implementation only RMAN backup to hard disks.

We ask ORACLE provide us the price quote and ORACLE ask 5 days to implement. Based on my experience setup RMAN should NOT more than two days. Is ORACLE 5 days request reasonable?

Following are ORACLE suggestion:

  1. Engagement Kick-Off Meeting (&#189; day)
  2. Team member introductions and role definition
  3. Review of engagement Objectives and Scope
  4. Overview of the RMAN architecture=20
  5. Re-Link Oracle with the necessary libraries to support RMAN. =20 This task may require several hours of downtime on the affected system.
    =09
  6. Install or create the necessary RMAN scripts to backup and maintain RMAN backups in the customers=A1=A6 environment. Participants will be trained on these scripts and may participate in writing specialized scripts for their environment (2 days)
    =09
  7. Perform backup and recovery testing for common Recovery scenarios (3 days)

Do You Yahoo!?
Tired of spam? Yahoo! Mail has the best spam protection around=20 http://mail.yahoo.com=20