RE: Prot on jre file

From: Nick Tilbury _at_ Northampton <_at_>
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2004 14:13:28 -0000

Mine show as not writable by World

-rwxrwxr-x

Nick

-----Original Message-----

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org
[mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org]On Behalf Of Herring Dave - dherri Sent: 17 November 2004 13:29
To: oracle-l_at_freelists.org
Subject: Prot on jre file

Folks,

Anyone know what the necessary protection should be on the following Java file under unix?

% ls -l /u01/app/oracle/jre/1.1.8/bin/jre

-rwxrwxrwx 1 oracle dba 2097 Dec 31 1969
/u01/app/oracle/jre/1.1.8/bin/jre

As you can see from above, the file has world-write access, which seems rather odd. I compared this to 7 other installs and all had the same prots, which to me means the installation process is setting this. Our security admin wants this changed, yet I'm paranoid that dropping prots will cause problems.

Anyone know how/why this file is set to 777?

Dave Herring, DBA

Acxiom Corporation

< <mailto:dherri_at_acxiom.com> mailto:dherri_at_acxiom.com>

"If truth does not exclude, then no assertion of a truth claim is being made; it's just an opinion." - Ravi Zacherias

The information contained in this communication is confidential, is intended only for the use of the recipient named above, and may be legally privileged. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution, or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited.
If you have received this communication in error, please re-send this communication to the sender and delete the original message or any copy of it from your computer system. Thank You.

This message is intended solely for the use of the individual or organisation to whom it is addressed. It may contain privileged or confidential information. If you have received this message in error, please notify the originator immediately. If you are not the intended recipient, you should not use, copy, alter, or disclose the contents of this message. All information or opinions expressed in this message and/or any attachments are those of the author and are not necessarily those of VarTecTelecom Europe Ltd or its affiliates. VarTec Telecom Europe Ltd accepts no responsibility for loss or damage arising from its use, including damage from virus.

--

http://www.freelists.org/webpage/oracle-l Received on Wed Nov 17 2004 - 08:18:02 CST