Resource Manager in highly transactional database?

From: Thomas Jeff <jeff.thomas_at_thomson.net>
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2004 13:17:42 -0500

We have a 9.2.0.4/AIX 5.2 shipping database that experiences periodic freezes,
during "waves" when ship/print runs are generated. During these freezes,
we typically see between 100-200 sessions waiting on various resmgr waits
(fragment below), for up 4-5 minutes before they eventually clear out. Is there any tuning/tweaking I can do (other then disabling RM) to get around this? I did not define the plans, and the intent is that they are set up more
to faciliate chargeback (via periodic scans of v$rsrc_consumer_group) then
intended for actual resource control. Checking Metalink/Google has not come
up with anything useful.

 SID Username     EVENT                         STATUS
SECONDS_IN_WAIT
----- ------------ ---------------------------- ----------

  590 OPS$TCESMISP resmgr:wait in actses run    WAITING            7
  591 OPS$TCESMISP resmgr:wait in actses run    WAITING            4
  592 OPS$TCESMISP resmgr:wait in actses run    WAITING            7
  593 OPS$TCESMISP resmgr:waiting in end wait   WAITING            26
  594 OPS$U54627   resmgr:waiting in end wait   WAITING            81
  596 OPS$TCESMISP resmgr:waiting in end wait   WAITING            29
  598 OPS$TCESMISP resmgr:wait in actses run    WAITING             3
  599 OPS$U21801   resmgr:waiting in end wait   WAITING            26
  600 OPS$TCESMISP resmgr:wait in actses run    WAITING             1
  601 OPS$TCESMISP resmgr:wait in actses run    WAITING             2
  602 OPS$U60967   resmgr:wait in actses run    WAITING            47

Jeffery D Thomas
DBA
Thomson Information Services
Thomson, Inc.