Re: MEMORY LEAKAGE ON AIX5L

From: Kresimir Fabijanic <kfabijanic_at_optusnet.com.au>
Date: Sat, 13 Nov 2004 08:38:07 +1100

Hi Seema

We have exactly the same problem in processes not releasing virtual memory - even if our physical memory goes down to 45%, virtual memory stays around 30% . We used svmon with oracle background processes and could not detect any memory leaks - we did established that listener memory space grows, but at its largest it was never above 300Mb (we have 6Gb of physical and 6Gb of virtual memory). Unfortunately "svmon" with process option is only way to detect a memory leak on AIX - it requires the root privilege. Alternatively, you may try to use ps -efl but it will only show you some rogue/runaway processes, not a nice, steady memory leaks.

There is a very good article on metalink on AIX memory leak detection.

Kind Regards

Kresimir Fabijanic