DBMS_SUPPORT Versions blues

From: Gogala, Mladen <Mladen.Gogala_at_aetn.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2004 15:13:06 -0500

Being one of those DBA geeks who always install DBMS_SUPPORT, even in the cases when I
have not been given a direct advice from the Oracle Support, I was describing it to a colleague.
He asked me about the package version function, and I went to see what's in it. Here is
what the function returns:

SQL> select dbms_support.package_version from dual;

PACKAGE_VERSION

DBMS_SUPPORT Version 1.0 (17-Aug-1998) - Requires Oracle 7.2 - 8.0.5

SQL> select * from v$version;

BANNER

Oracle9i Enterprise Edition Release 9.2.0.4.0 - 64bit Production PL/SQL Release 9.2.0.4.0 - Production
CORE 9.2.0.3.0 Production
TNS for HPUX: Version 9.2.0.4.0 - Production NLSRTL Version 9.2.0.4.0 - Production

SQL>     I may be wrong but 9.2.0.4.0 does not seem to fall in the required version range.

Now, my question is whether there is a newer version. That is one of those secretive undocumented packages described nowhere except in little known books by Tom Kyte and Cary Millsap as well as in about a 100 or so notes on Metalink (if you enter DBMS_SUPPORT in the search field, then 127 results are found) and an article in Oracle Magazine for Jan 04 (Cary's hand, again) which means that it is only used by 50,000 or so database administrators in the world. Now that the cat is out of the bag, it would be nice to maintain it and add some new stuff, like the event 10053 and something to show me the name of the tracefile without resorting to oradebug.

--

Mladen Gogala
A & E TV Network

--