Re: Growing table

From: Terry Sutton <terrysutton_at_usa.net>
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2004 09:03:28 -0800

Dick,

Unfortunately there's no foreign key (something I'm not happy with), but I don't think that's the problem. The ratio of rows in DATA to row in INFO stays around 5, so the app seems to be deleting appropriately. The growth isn't in the number of rows, it's just in the number of blocks they consume. As it stands right now, there is roughly 1 DATA row per 3-4 blocks! I could see this if the number of DATA rows had grown to 4 million at some point, but it hasn't. Frustrating.

Thanks,

--Terry

Terry,

Are these two tables parent-child constrained together? It's quite possible that you web application is deleting the INFO table records without taking care of the DATA records. A simple foreign key constraint with "on delete cascade" may well fix it.

Dick Goulet
Senior Oracle DBA
Oracle Certified 8i DBA

--