Re: Index rebuilding

From: Niall Litchfield <niall.litchfield_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2004 14:57:25 +0000

On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 09:09:44 -0500, Mark W. Farnham <mwf_at_rsiz.com> wrote:
> Wolfgang's approach is a clear scientific approach to determining what is
> going on.

Wolfgang and I both pretty much assumed the same thing. That stats changed between the two different access paths. Steve mailed me offlist to say that this assumption was incorrect.

Now it so happens that a noted author gave these bullet points in a presentation at UKOUG which might help us here.

Ways to modify access paths

Change the statement

   Use hint
   Use Stored Outline
 Change statistics
 Create or drop a database object
 Change initialization parameters

I've indented these slightly differently from the original presentation, since I regard using a hint and using a stored outline as ways of changing the statement.

We've been assuming that stats have changed, but it seems to me at least possible that one of the others applies, in the case of initialisation parameters one would need to check session level parameters as well

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA