RE: Find client version

From: Mercadante, Thomas F <thomas.mercadante_at_labor.state.ny.us>
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2004 07:49:30 -0500

Rudy,

Why do you need to know what version your client is using? Wouldn't it be easier just to program for the lowest common version in your environment? And, just curious, what capability is in the 10g version that is not in the 8i version is giving you problems?

Tom Mercadante
Oracle Certified Professional

From: Jeremiah Wilton [mailto:jwilton_at_speakeasy.net]=20 Sent: Wednesday, November 10, 2004 6:09 PM To: Rudy Zung
Cc: oracle-l_at_freelists.org

On Wed, 10 Nov 2004, Rudy Zung wrote:

> Is there any way to programatically determine what=3D20 version of
> client that I'm using?

You can find the client version in the client shared library:

strings $ORACLE_HOME/lib/libclntsh.so | grep ^Version

Not sure if this helps you. I suspect there is an OCI call you can make to get this, but I didn't take the time to search around for it.

--
Jeremiah Wilton
Independent Oracle Professional