RE: Listener stops accepting client requests/connections

From: Jesper Haure Norrevang <jhn.aida_at_cbs.dk>
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2004 13:49:26 +0100

Denham,

The listener's job is to
- listen for incomming requests
- validate incomming requests from clients   (SID, service_name, client IP address etc.) - Redirect (by bequeathing or returning an address)   the client requests to an dispatcher or dedicated server. - listen for mere incomming requests.

Thus if the listener stops - intentionally og by error - then the established connections with the database(s) will continue to work.

The difficult part is to figure, why and when the listener brokes. A little hint may be to execute   lsnrctl service
to see if the lisener is alive at all and whether it is establishing or refusing new connections.

Just my DKK 0.02
(That is 2 =F8re in Danish).

Regards
Jesper Haure N=F8rrevang