Re: doh! stupid datafiles

From: Charles Hart <cchart3_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 2004 21:35:19 -0600

If someone does not care enough to backup a database then I would assume that it is not in archive log mode. Use this as a learning experience.

It all depends on what the tablespace the datafiles are part of, if they belong to a tablespace that has mostly indexes. I would build scripts to rebuild the indexes and drop indexes (or whatever) in that tablespace, drop tablespace. Then rebuild that tablespace and indexes. Then bring any data over from production that was in this tablespace (sql copy, export/import - whatever you are more confortable with).

 If the tablespace or tablespaces contained large amount of data, I would probally use transportable tablespaces from production. If it is a good fit.

Doing a clone from production is easy and depending on the size of production, could be very fast.