RE: RMAN KEEP

From: Charlotte Hammond <charlottejanehammond_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 2004 02:02:59 -0800 (PST)

Hi Dennis,

Thanks for the suggestion. Sounds like a plan! I'll give it a go - I had been hoping to keep everything within the same catalog and underlying configuration (regular daily backups and long-term "save point" backups) but seems this isn't going to happen. Your suggestion looks good though, as it doesn't add too much additional complexity.

Thanks again
- Charlotte

DENNIS WILLIAMS <DWILLIAMS_at_LIFETOUCH.COM> wrote: Charlotte
As I understand your requirement, you want to take and RMAN backup and then at some future time restore the database to the time you took the backup?
I don't think the RMAN catalog was designed for this purpose. Here is how I would approach it. Take the RMAN backup set, the archive logs for the time of the backup and for a short period of time afterward, and just in case, a backup controlfile. It doesn't matter if you take the backup using the controlfile or the RMAN catalog. Now, at any time in the future you can restore that backup on another server, as long as have the same Oracle version. I just do controlfile recoveries, but you could take an export of the RMAN catalog after the backup completed and restore that as well. I just think the controlfile recovery is simpler in this situation.
Dennis Williams
DBA
Lifetouch, Inc.