Changing the spfile on 9.2.0.3

From: Denham Eva <EVAD_at_TFMC.co.za>
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 2004 11:40:55 +0200

Hello Folks

I am trying to "update"/"change" the spfile with the edited init.ora file under pfile in admin.

I start the database startup mount;

Then use the

  CREATE SPFILE FROM PFILE='PATH\TO\INIT\PFILE\INIT.ORA'; But Oracle complains that the spfile is already in use.

Must I use a different name ie change the name of spfile? OR can I update/alter spfile?

OR is there something with the method?

TIA Denham