RE: rman incremental backups vs. full backups

From: Koivu, Lisa <Lisa.Koivu_at_Cendant-TRG.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2004 15:23:39 -0500

Hi Ryan,=20

The instructor is right. In my case backups are stored offsite and only kept ~14 days. Imagine the cost associated with keeping all your incrementals and all the tape loads, etc. associated with a restore from a full backup that is 3 months old. That is, if you can find the tapes.

Here at Cendant we just implemented rman + netbackup, all on Windows. The full backup over the San (not over the network) for a terabyte-sized database went from taking nearly 20 hours to 2.5. Awesome. With that kind of backup time, we back it up in it's entirety every night. =20

Lisa